Monday, August 1, 2016

Fitness Class Review - Kangoo Jumps at Canalside



Class name - Kangoo Jumps by Garage Fitness Studio (Monday nights, email ahead to reserve boots)
Where they are located - Canalside, across the street from 716 and the Harbor Center
What it cost - Free!
Level of difficulty - Requires balance and some core strength

Review -

As part of the growing free summer fitness program at Canalside, Garage Fitness Studios has been able to bring several unique offerings to the citizens of Buffalo. Two of the classes, Garage ROCKS (Wednesdays) and Kettlebell Swingin (Sunday mornings) I have not yet had the pleasure to check out (maybe this week?), but two weeks ago I went downtown on Monday evening to check out Kangoo Jumps.


Kangoo Jumps is an extremely active, very aerobic fitness class that is taught, as many classes are now, to music (similar to music used in a hip hop or Zumba class in this case). This is one of the few classes downtown that does require special equipment other than something simple like a yoga mat, but as with kettlebell swinging and hoop dance, the equipment is provided at no charge to the participant (which, in this author's opinion, is amazing). This class requires springy boots - bouncy, like moon boots, but much more streamlined. Picture a ski boot with a flexible blade on the bottom (with rubber so that it doesn't slip) that allows you to bounce with every step or jump that you take.



As with many of the classes I have done this summer, I went in with no experience, and some trepidation that it may be difficult, and I may not catch on. In this instance, I was concerned that I was either going to break my ankle, or slip and fall and cut my legs up. This was not at all the case - the boots are very stable, and even though they come in somewhat "generic" sizes (small, med, large, etc to accommodate a range of shoe sizes), the adjustable buckles allow you to gt a tight fit around both the instep and the ankle. The class itself was completely doable for a beginner - when I first stood up on the boots, I was concerned about tipping over, but the more I moved, the more stable I felt. The moves that they teach lend themselves naturally to using the movement of the boots. 

Judy Siniscalchi is the instructor of the Kangoo Jumps class (along with other classes, as the owner of Garage Fitness). Although she had recently broken her toe and was not in boots that day (I was actually borrowing her boots), she was still actively teaching the class. As with many of the outdoor classes, she was mic'd and had loudspeakers with the music, and with her instruction coming through them. Before each song she would teach an abbreviated version of the moves so that you knew what was coming up during the song and could prepare. She also made sure that, as a new person, I was in the front near the instructor (no pressure, haha). 

Judy discovered Kangoo in 2015 and began teaching the class shortly after that. She also teaches many other classes, including Kettlebell Swing, Shadow Hoop, and Pound (a class with drum-stick-like equipment) - you can see a full list of Garage's classes here

The class itself was a lot of fun - the music was upbeat and kept you moving, and the movements, while challenging, were doable. This activity is friendly for all ages - there were even 4 younger pre-teen girls right up front, jumping along with the instructor (they specifically requested a song that they call the "Judy Booty" song, which is murder on your glutes). It was definitely a hot day, but there was a breeze coming off of the lake, and there was a fountain nearby that sprayed mist - this was a lifesaver. 

Come prepared to sweat - this class, like the zumba class, is a constant mover with different songs that target specific ares of the body. While there is a little arm-work here and there, this is definitely a core and lower-body intense class (while it didn't burn my legs out entirely, I was feeling it the next morning). I would definitely recommend wearing taller socks that cover your ankles, up to the tops of the boots - one of the boots rubbed a little bit and I had a "rug burn" on my leg in that spot for a few days, so the next time I will come prepared. Also, if you are a glasses wearer, I would very much recommend contacts for this one if you have them - my glasses were bouncing all over and I was constantly pushing them back up the bridge of my nose #thestruggleisreal (things you don't think about until they happen). Finally, don't forget a waterbottle (yes, I totally left my waterbottle in my car, and it was 90 degrees out, and I was at a fitness class... I was woefully unprepared for this one). 

All in all, this was a really fun class, and I will definitely do it again - this time with stripey knee socks. 

Check out this video of the class to see some of the moves!


No comments:

Post a Comment